Home > code coverage, gradle, java, test, test coverage > Running EMMA Code / Test Coverage with JAVA 7 and Gradle 1.0M9

Running EMMA Code / Test Coverage with JAVA 7 and Gradle 1.0M9

Had a huge road block while trying to integrate EMMA Code Coverage with the latest version of Gradle today… I found this blog post that helped starting reaching a solution…


It has been 2 years since the last update (although some users have commented other solutions), but as Gradle DSL and Java are still evolving, that version did not work. One common problem related to Java 7’s new bytecode instruction. EMMA, Cobertura and others are facing the same problems discussed at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7010665/testng-emma-cobertura-coverage-and-jdk-7-result-in-classformaterror-and-verif. Just adding the jvmArg “-XX:-UseSplitVerifier” solved the problem for me with EMMA.

Well, after spending a few hours trying to get the previous patch working, I got a working solution running Test Coverage with EMMA on the latest Grails with Java 7.

First, add the emma configuration and its dependency.


dependencies {
  // EMMS Code Coverage
  emma "emma:emma:2.1.5320"
  emma "emma:emma_ant:2.1.5320"
  testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.9'

Then, update the test task by adding the doFirst{} and doLast{} closures below.

test {
    // add EMMA related JVM args to our tests
    jvmArgs "-XX:-UseSplitVerifier", "-Demma.coverage.out.file=$buildDir/tmp/emma/metadata.emma", "-Demma.coverage.out.merge=true"

    doFirst {
       println "Instrumenting the classes at " + sourceSets.main.output.classesDir.absolutePath
       // define the custom EMMA ant tasks
       ant.taskdef( resource:"emma_ant.properties", classpath: configurations.emma.asPath)

       ant.path(id:"run.classpath") {
       def emmaInstDir = new File(sourceSets.main.output.classesDir.parentFile.parentFile, "tmp/emma/instr")
       println "Creating $emmaInstDir to instrument from " +       sourceSets.main.output.classesDir.absolutePath
       // instruct our compiled classes and store them at $buildDir/tmp/emma/instr
       ant.emma(enabled: 'true', verbosity:'info'){
          instr(merge:"true", destdir: emmaInstDir.absolutePath, instrpathref:"run.classpath",
                metadatafile: new File(emmaInstDir, '/metadata.emma').absolutePath) {
             instrpath {
             fileset(dir:sourceSets.main.output.classesDir.absolutePath, includes:"**/*.class")
       setClasspath(files("$buildDir/tmp/emma/instr") + configurations.emma +    getClasspath())

    // The report should be generated directly after the tests are done.
    // We create three types (txt, html, xml) of reports here. Running your build script now should
    // result in output like that:
    doLast {
       def srcDir = sourceSets.main.java.srcDirs.toArray()[0]
       println "Creating test coverage reports for classes " + srcDir
       def emmaInstDir = new File(sourceSets.main.output.classesDir.parentFile.parentFile, "tmp/emma")
          new File("$buildDir/reports/emma").mkdirs()
          report(sourcepath: srcDir){
             fileset(dir: emmaInstDir.absolutePath){
       println "Test coverage reports available at $buildDir/reports/emma."
       println "txt: $buildDir/reports/emma/coverage.txt"
       println "Test $buildDir/reports/emma/coverage.html"
       println "Test $buildDir/reports/emma/coverage.xml"

You can run the updates from your gradle as follows:

marcello@hawaii:/u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware$ gradle test
:processResources UP-TO-DATE
:processTestResources UP-TO-DATE
Instrumenting the classes at /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/classes/main
Creating /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/tmp/emma/instr to instrument from /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/classes/main
Creating test coverage reports for classes /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/src/main/java
Test coverage reports available at /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/reports/emma.
txt: /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/reports/emma/coverage.txt
Test /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/reports/emma/coverage.html
Test /u1/development/workspaces/open-source/interviews/vmware/build/reports/emma/coverage.xml

  1. April 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

    Thanks for posting this!

    I have a gradle 1m9 build that uses cobertura which I’m changing to Java 7. Seeing how you added jvmArgs “-XX:-UseSplitVerifier” to your test task saved me from a lot of grief.

    • April 10, 2012 at 12:45 am

      No worries!!!

      Please share your code if you get Cobertura configured to run with Java 7 using the jvmArgs…


  2. May 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm

    I’ve just patched your code into a fork of the gradleplugins git repo at https://github.com/sazzer/gradleplugins, and put in a pull request for it to go upstream. If it gets pulled then the Emma plugin referenced from the gradle wiki will start working again thanks to your work here 🙂

    • May 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

      Not a problem Graham!!! Glad that I somehow helped the community…

      Thanks as well for the Gradle plugins!!!

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: